Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"In like a lamb, out like a lion", or "In like a lion, out like a lamb", only the weatherman knows for sure

February 29th, Leap Day. It's funny how a number can make people go a little crazy. I've been listening to radio personalities complain that they are working an extra day, how everyone in the world should have the day off. Celebrations for weddings and birthdays that only happen every four years are all around us. But why and what is the purpose of Leap Year? It surly isn't just for the chance of females asking males to get married. To find out more just Google and you will have more information than you'll ever need.

So what should I write about on this extra day of the year? My mind is racing to all the things I could be doing and not wanting to do any of them. An extra day should give me a chance to finish up all those little projects that just never get done or even a chance to start something new.

But my focus seems to keep coming back to a two day meeting I have with co workers from across the state tomorrow and Friday. We are a mixed bunch of dedicated people with various personalities. We all get along and are of common mind and spirit, most of the time. I really do look forward to meeting with all of them. The problem is we have lost some of our excitement. We have fallen into that depressed state that many of our teachers have found themselves. We are downtrodden, broken almost. Our moral is shot.

And here's me, the person who thinks she has to fix everything. I have been taxing my brain for something fun, exciting to do that would just lift our spirits a bit while we tackle the work at hand. I've thought of lambs, you know, March in like a lamb, out like a lion. White, fluffy, soft lambs. Just don't know where to get 25 of them and I don't think the Marriott would allow them in anyway. So here's my thought, food, there has to be something that we could eat that would take us to a soft, cozy, happy place. And chocolate, has to have some element of chocolate.

The only idea I have so far is to find the cute little lamb I bought after Easter last year. Take Easter grass, put the lamb in the middle and place a bowl of chocolate candies directly behind him. Gross or funny? I don't know. I chuckled. Maybe just a little bit of foolishness is all we need to make the day go smoother.

That takes me to years gone by with my ELLs. When they started to "get the joke" I knew we were on our way to understanding English. Getting the hidden humor in a language takes skill and knowledge.

I guess this extra day has made me extra windy myself. Long blog without much power, unlike the windy day we are experiencing today. Hope your extra day gives you power to get things going. An extra day to enjoy the humor around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment