Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What is important and what is necessary? Are they the same?

I found out today that my brother-in-law has prostrate cancer. It is always a shock to hear of a loved one with something so drastic. We don't know what his next steps will be but at least the problem has been identified. Family illnesses have a way of putting other things in perspective, not diminishing the other important aspects of our lives but making them take their rightful place on our list of priorities.

One item on my list is to start implementing my personal professional development plan. Like in all good educational organizations, we are expected to participate in continuous professional development. I enjoy this when meeting with a group of colleagues but what I really, really struggle with is writing and carrying out my own personal professional development. On my own, by myself.

My plan this year includes reading articles and books on literacy and ELs. Right up my alley. Or it should be. With all the discussion and implementation of the Core Standards each of us should take a look at what we believe as teachers, what the research tells us, and how we apply our knowledge when exploring and accomplishing the expected results with our students. Somehow this has made me take a new look at old familiar things, truths I've known have to be addressed with a new slant. I'd like to say with "fresh eyes" but I think after so many years in the educational field, my eyes are anything but fresh. I have too many years of successful students, students who struggled, and students who failed to be able to look at research and recommendations without bringing all that with me. So as I read for new understanding, I will automatically apply my background knowledge and experiences to make this information meaningful, useful.

The first book I've chosen to dive into a book I've read before, using a different colored highlighter and post-it notes to mark those special sections that should be remembered. My book of choice is "Literacy Instruction for English Language Learners, A Teacher's Guide to Research-Based Practices" by Nancy Cloud, Fred Genesee, and Else Hamayan. This is a great book, one that makes sense to the ESL field.

No comments:

Post a Comment