Wednesday, January 11, 2012

RTI: Run To IT, no, Rethink your Thoughts and be Insightful, no, Response To Intervention, yes, that's it!

 Rats! I just checked back at posts that I have written, saved for editing, but never posted. It wouldn't be a big deal, I could re-write them and add them as new ones but the one I really liked was my New Year's post. It is written and has all my wonderful plans for success in 2012.  I wonder if the second week of January is too late to add it? I guess if I am going to follow my own targets of success for 2012, I should post it and not think it odd. But the 2011 me is embarrassed that I forgot it and would like to hide the fact that I messed up.

Our ESL students face that same problem every time they open their mouths or try to read. Do they try to hide the fact that they might mess up or do they plow on, making all sorts of mistakes but learning every step of the way? Many times they will appear as if they need special education services, making so many mistakes that teachers feel that they must have that extra help from a SPED teacher. With implementation of the RTI model in many of our schools, teachers have been able to focus on our ELs needs without going to that Tier 3 intervention (SPED).

If you're interested in reading more about ELs and RTI you will find that more and more books are starting to appear on the topic. For years, Dr. Catherine Collier and Dr. Alba Ortiz have been the names I think of first when considering ESL and SPED. However, we are seeing other names enter the mix of experts in the field. A recent book that I have added to my library is titled, " How to Teach English Language Learners, Effective Strategies from Outstanding Educators". This book highlights scenarios from classrooms that provide instruction to ELs with the RTI model. This is a practical resource that is an interesting read with strategies that can be used in your classroom tomorrow.


"How to Teach English Language Learners, Effective Strategies from Outstanding Educators", Diane Haager, Janette K. Klingner, Teresa C. Aceves. Published by Jossey-Bass, www.josseybass.com, 2010.

Well, I guess I'll bite the bullet and post my old post next. If I am going to continue to teach this old dog new tricks, I must carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment