Monday, October 24, 2011

Oops! Your Culture is Showing

Today I was asked a question about private schools and the responsibilities they have to serve ESL students. It was time for some of my favorite flashbacks, back to when my husband was a principal in a Catholic school, we lived in the old convent, and I drove 17 miles to my teaching job in a Catholic school. The ironic part of this story is, we aren't Catholic.

Just goes to show that you don't have to be a member of a group to contribute or benefit in some way from new experiences. We both attended mass, used God's name as leverage when dealing with a behavior issue, and saw the power of community. We decided that our kids were going to attend one of these great, small, loving schools, but as with most administrators in education, we moved on to a higher paying position. My exposure to a different religion stopped as quickly as it began.


The diversity of religion is the reason for conflict among nations, individuals, communities. The differences between my religious beliefs and those of my catholic friends are vast in some ways and very similar in others. Because I took the time to attend and participate in this religious community, my life has been enriched and blessed. I have a deeper appreciation and understanding that I never would have had unless I had experienced life with these wonderful people.

Understanding a different culture will broaden your life. Make it more complete, but there is the fear factor. The fear of not knowing when to stand, when to pray, when to sing, what to sing are all minor things but think of the many people who come to our country with their belief systems, their cultural celebrations, their way of life, with no idea what to do or when to do it. The message we send these new Americans can be one of acceptance and support or one of refusal and denial. The best way to become aware of the differences and similarities is to research, attend culturally diverse celebrations, attend a religious ceremony that is different  than your own, and to just get to know those around us. A great book to help with your research or reference is:

Multicultural Students with Special Language Needs, Practical Strategies for Assessment and Intervention, 3rd Edition. by Celeste Roseberry-McKibbin. ISBN978-1-57503-139-2.

This easy to read, well organized, and hands on book gives general information about cultural diversity and religious differences for families from Anglo European, African American, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, Pacific Island, Middle Eastern, and Russian backgrounds. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment